Anti Racist Action
Anti Racist Action (ARA) is an International anti racist organization devoted to helping confront and eliminate the ideologies of racism, sexism, and homophobia (and more) from the landscape of our lives. This not only involves fighting the symptoms of said problems, but finding a link between all of them, and fighting against their root causes.
ARA lives by 4 principles, which are briefly outlined below in the forms ratified by the various ARA chapters at ARA Conventions.
The Anti-Racist Action Points Of Unity
The Anti-Racist Action Network consists of people from all different backgrounds, with a lot of different viewpoints. With over 150 ARA chapters out there, it's not surprising that no two are alike! What we all agree on, however, is the following:
1) We go where they go: Whenever fascists are organizing or active in public, we're there. We don't believe in ignoring them or staying away from them. Never let the nazis have the street!
2) We don't rely on the cops or courts to do our work for us: This doesn't mean we never go to court. But we must rely on ourselves to protect ourselves and stop the fascists.
3) Non-Sectarian defense of other Anti-Fascists: In ARA, we have lots of different groups and individuals. We don't agree about everything and we have a right to differ openly. But in this movement an attack on one is an attack on us all. We stand behind each other.
4) We support abortion rights and reproductive freedom. ARA intends to do the hard work necessary to build a broad, strong movement against racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, discrimination against the disabled, the oldest, the youngest and the most oppressed people. We want a classless society. WE INTEND TO WIN!
Formed in 1996, the Louisville ARA chapter, as all chapters, fluctuated in membership constantly. They held meetings first at the Douglass Community Center, then at a large Unitarian church downtown, the main library, and then finally the first incarnation of The Brycc House before the group (seemingly) permanently disbanded. This dispersion occured about the same time as many other chapters across the continent folded.
- http://gaytoday.badpuppy.com/garchive/people/080999pe.htm (Article by the old Louisville ARA)