|Record Labels:||Indecision Records, Reflections, Capsule|
|Started By:||Matt Wieder/Thommy Browne|
|Largest show:||1000+ people|
|Number of Members:||5|
Former Mouthpiece guitarist Matt Wieder moved to Louisville a few years back, and played in Guilt and The Enkindels before deciding to put together a straight edge band with Enkindels/By The Grace Of God drummer Thommy Browne. They recorded their first seven inch with Thommy on drums and Matt doing everything else before recruiting more members for the band.
When Automatic became a fully functioning outfit, they found their guitarist in local hardcore scenester Ryan Patterson. Ben Teague later signed on to play the first couple of shows and never left. The second guitar spot has been a revolving door but the core of the band has remained the same.
The band's sound is melodic and catchy, highly reminiscent of Dag Nasty- something Automatic isn't ashamed about at all. While most hardcore bands site the New York sound as a primary influence, Automatic take their sound and ideology from Washington D.C. greats like Swiz, Ignition, Bad Brains, Gray Matter and yes, Dag Nasty.
Ryan sums up the bands outlook on straight edge and being part of a "revival" movement. "We wanted to start a band that were guys that were a little bit older but were still straight edge and still into hardcore," Ryan points out that, "we are going to begin a hardcore band and end a hardcore band. Every one of our songs has rock aspects to it so there 's no need for us to put out our 'Staring Into The Sun' or 'Aftertaste'.
If Automatic follows the footsteps of their DC predecessors, Their days maybe numbered. So don't miss your chance to catch what will surely be one of the late 90's most important hardcore bands.
-Wade Wilson, Superhero Fanzine
In 2010, Matt and Thommy resurrected Automatic after working on several other collaborations over the years. Their first show back was in theChestnut St. punk house, and they are playing on and writing new material. It's probably not really true, but Matt claimed on stage in December 2010 at Skull Alley that after all these years, no one had ever done a stage dive at an Automatic show - a record that was broken about 20 seconds later.
- Matt Wieder - vocals
- Thommy Browne - drums
- Ben Teague - bass
- Jamie Leslie - guitar
- Ryan Patterson - guitar
- Evan Patterson - guitar
- Brandon Amos - guitar
- Al Biddle - drums/Canadian
- Will Allard - bass (2010/2011)
- s/t 7" (Capsule Records)
- Crossing Kill Creek 7"/CD (Indecision Records)
- Lowriser 7" (Reflections Records - Europe)
- Automatic/Burden split ep (Dead Serious - Europe)
- Punk Uprisings: Incompatible 3.0 (Victory Records)
- blue hoodies w/ bright orange print. band name on front w/ an oval that contains 3 negative space Xs. Not sold in Louisville.
- "Crusty" - Navy shirts w/ yellow print (some white shirts w/ black print). Band name repeated on back ala Insted. "Louisville Hardcore" on front. Front | Back
- "Bad Brains" - lightning striking the top of Louisville's domed Aegon Tower. Black shirts w/ yellow print (1st run). Second run of black shirts with grey print available.